Key Dates - Year 7 selective high schools entry in 2024
Applications for entry to selective high school placement in 2024 CLOSES ON 16 November 2022
Selective High School Placement test will take place on 4 May 2023
Placement outcomes expected to be released - August 2023
Applications for Year 7 are made in Year 5 with testing undertaken in Year 6.
Please refer all enquiries to the High Performing Students Unit:
- Telephone: 1300 880 367
- Fax: 02 9626 8435
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Internet: https://education.nsw.gov.au/public-schools/selective-high-schools-and-opportunity-classes/year-7#Entry1
Application and Enrolment Process for Year 7
The application and testing process for students seeking enrolment into Year 7 at Selective Schools in NSW is centrally administered by the High Performing Students Unit of the Department of Education.
Applications open in mid-October and close in mid-November.
Application Forms are available from local primary schools or can be downloaded from the NSW Department of Education Selective High School and Opportunity classes site when applications open.
The Selective Schools Test is conducted in March each year for students who registered by the due date the previous year. A selection committee convened by the High Performing Students Unit assesses the test results along with the academic information from primary schools to determine, in rank order:
- the 120 students to be made an initial offer of enrolment in the Year 7 intake;
- additional students to be placed on the Reserve List.
The Reserve List remains active, and is used to fill any vacancies that may arise, until at least the end of Term 1, or until mid-June at the latest, when all reserve lists close and the Years 8 to 12 placement begins.
Our school cannot intervene in, nor alter the outcome of, the process for determining the initial offers or for filling Year 7 vacancies from the Reserve List. The High Performing Students Unit manages both processes and all enquiries should be directed to them.
More detailed information about the application and enrolment process is available at: https://education.nsw.gov.au/public-schools/selective-high-schools-and-opportunity-classes/year-7
Year 7 Enrolment Process
1. Placement outcomes are sent by the High Performing Students Unit to parents of students to receive first round offers.
2. Parents respond directly to the High Performing Students Unit to accept (or decline) the offer of enrolment.
3. The High Performing Students Unit provides the school with the details of all the students who have accepted the offer of enrolment at the school.
4. An enrolment information package is sent to parents from Smith's Hill High School.
This information will include:
- enrolment forms
- transport details and application forms
- uniform shop details and price list; student fees
- details about the Year 7 Orientation Camp including fees and payment arrangements
- an invitation to students to attend an Orientation Day during Term 4
- an invitation to parents and students to attend an Information Evening during Term 4.